Saturday 29 October 2011

The Church: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Shrine

 
After the “Pamanhikan”, we immediately went on to search for a church with a nearby reception area. We wanted to make it hassle-free for our guests especially those who might come only thru public commute, so the proximity of the reception venue was a major consideration for us. These two were the only ones that habibi and I were able to book personally. I honestly think that this should be on top of the list above anything else during the wedding preps: church & reception venue. Everything else will follow once both are finalized.

We first did an ocular visit in another church which is also in the same area as Mt. Carmel’s. I do not really recall the name though. I did not bother to remember at all because we didn’t like it. Not because the place was unattractive but because they were very strict when it comes to document submission. If I remember correctly, they have this requirement that we should be in Manila at least three weeks before the wedding day. That’s just impossible given that my maximum allowed vacation leave is only 15 days. It was also very difficult to ask questions from the parish secretary. She doesn’t seem approachable. Maybe a defense for the numerous bridezillas she already had the misfortune to encounter?  Well, we left and then went to the next one on our itinerary which is Mt. Carmel.

It was our first time to have visited the church. The façade is beautiful and has an old-feel to it. I noticed there is also an ample parking space for the guests. The interior of the church is just perfect – simple, spacious and very, very solemn. It has a long aisle too which every bride dreams to walk on during her big day. I guess not for me though. I initially got scared and I kept imagining myself tripping down as I walk. Thankfully, I didn’t.
 

We went to the parish office and what happened to us earlier was exactly the opposite of our encounter with Mt. Carmel’s parish secretary. He was very accommodating and willingly answered all our questions. We learned that our wedding month also happens to be the feast of Our Lady. Originally, our chosen wedding date was July 7 but due to my workload, I was not permitted to schedule a vacation leave on the first week of every month. We had to move it to July 18 and fortunately, we were granted the permission to do so despite the fact that the initial date was already blocked for us (of course after some formal letters were written and addressed to the Parish Priest). I must say they are also very “OFW-friendly” Ü. They understand the difficulties that an overseas couples face and so, they are very flexible when it comes to document submission. When we were back in Dubai and I still had some queries, I just send e-mails and I always get a prompt response.

Tips: Don't forget to secure a copy of the requirements and take note of the deadline for submission. Request for the most updated copy of the missalette if you intend to give print outs for the guests. Additionally, get a confirmation if the church allows personal vows to be included as part of the matrimonial ceremony. Some church do not permit it. We really wanted this part to be included in our wedding so it was one of the first things we asked before we finalized the booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment